Saturday, August 7, 2010

Lapriye'



I actually had two prayers (lapriye') before I left for Haiti. One was to find Paloma and adopt her as our daughter. The other was to find a woman who I could help in a business. So here you see my two answers.
'
On the left is Samura Maere Paloma. She is six years old and an orphan at the Chambrun Orphanage. I do not have any other details but I got to spend some time with her and I'm thinking she knows what is afoot. I do believe that she wants to come live with us as soon as possible but for now we have to pray for God to keep her until we can get all the funds and legalities in order. I had taken a small photo album with pictures of our family ... Dave and I, the lads with their wives ... grandchildren, grandparents and even the pups. I left it with the caretaker at the orphanage to give to Samura when she saw fit.
'
On the right you see Ismae'lle. I was looking for a woman and God sent me a little girl. Ismae'lle' has a family or I would be sore tempted to bring her home too. I did ask Pastor Gary and her teacher if I could take her aside to show her some knitting but the Pastor thought it best if "someone" would teach a group of the girls some of these skills. I volunteered but only on the condition that there was not a Haitian woman who might make some money by doing the teaching herself. Pastor Gary was quite sure that there was no one else qualified so I am going back to Haiti.
'
Actually I did teach a group of inner city girls (about 6-7 years ago) some hand crafts and home skills along with biblical lessons in inner and outer beauty. The program was through All Nations Church (a multi cultural fellowship in the PCA) The idea was based on the early American Hope Chest. Every skill a young woman mastered would be placed into the hope chest. When the chest was complete she was ready for marriage. In this class we covered such topics as modesty, chastity, and the fruits of the Spirit. This idea went over well with the leadership of Chambrun. In Haiti there are many challenges to Christian family life so biblical instruction for the young is very welcome.
'
I would like to thank all of you who sent in support for my trip to Haiti. You truly were my partners in sending me there and in everything the Lord did. I will be sharing more information about the trip for our mutual encouragement and to the glory of God.
'
Meanwhile, I plan to save up and return to Haiti next summer for the Hope Chest Project. We have already begun the adoption process. Haiti Manje' (Haiti is my family now). If you would wish to partner with me in the future that is more than welcome but I truly appreciate what you have already done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment