Friday, August 20, 2010

On The Bucket List



Before I go I do have a personal "Bucket List". I'm writing a book. And it's almost finished in it's rough draft. My book is called The Two Step. We know the two step as a dance but it is also a Two Step Program for reconciliation. AA has a Twelve Step Program ..... The Scriptures teach a Two Step Program. I've got the art chosen for the cover. It is a medieval illumination of St. George and the Dragon and I have taken the prevailing rule of thumb to write about what I know.
'
All though my brother in law is the publisher for Presbyterian & Reformed Publishing I will be self publishing. Apparently they do not publish family members or they have too many books that need selling as it is. They haven't read my manuscript so it is not a rejection based on the merit of my book. I am married to an English teacher so I have an editor on call who will also make sure that men are comfortable reading my book.
'
What I would like to see for The Two Step is the book .... a study guide that could be used for small group bible study (possible adapted to couples, teens etc...), some CD's with complimentary sermons, and an illustrated children's book, Genevieve Does The Two Step.

4 comments:

  1. How are you going to publish it yourself? I know of a few websites. But then how to do plan on selling it? You can put it on amazon.com, make a web site for it, get some social media going with a blog just for the book, a twitter to answer questions, etc.

    I'm glad it's almost done, that's great! After you feel finished with the first draft you can really feel very accomplished. Since you didn't save the files you'll have to re-type it up though? If you need help saving future things please ask me. I don't want you to waste your time if there are ways to save time.

    I am not sure how Caelen and I are going to be able to help with the book cover. The image you chose, is it copyrighted? Or is it old enough that it no longer is under the copyright law? Also I think it's important to have a very attractive book cover. Maybe we could use the image in a really attractive way. People do judge a book by the cover. Can you send it to me again to my email?

    After you get it typed up for the second draft, it'll be easier to get things back on track with job hunting and all of that. Good luck! <3

    - SAMANTHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Samantha,

    I'm told that you can now buy computer programs to publish your own books ... I do have some ideas for promoting the book which I cannot discuss here but your ideas and technical input are welcome.

    As for the cover art it is from the middle ages and not copyrighted ...and I am currently open to finding a paying job since apparently all my other jobs I work for free. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah you can buy computer programs or use free ones online. The online ones I know you upload your book and each hardcover book is about 6-10$

    ReplyDelete