Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fourth of July, Church, Weekend, Garden, Wedding, Celebration



We were married in July 3, 1976. It is thirty four years today. My dress was made of kettle cloth by my mother and cost all of $15. My veil was a piece of antique lace belonging to a my great grandmother. David bought a new suit. We held the ceremony in my parents back yard.
'
It was a beautiful balmy day, birds chirping. My aunts and uncles provided the music; two guitars, a couple of recorders and my uncle on the harmonica. The music was beautiful in the open air. It was mostly hymns; The bridal entrance to, Tis A Gift To Be Simple, then Psalm 100, Blest The Man Tha Fears Jehovah, my aunt, Deborah Kropp sang the Nicene Creed ... David's father read scripture (Phil 2), my dad performed the ceremony ... my sister Melissa was maid of honor and sister in law Ruth bridesmaid ... Dave's brother Steve was the best man. A friend played a Bach trumpet volley for the recessional.
'
Guests sat in folding chairs on the lawn. A friend donated flowers that she had arranged. Another friend gave us a wedding cake she had made. Ladies of the church prepared the food. Virginia ham, biscuits, potato salad, jello. Old Andy Smith, now with the Lord, cranked home made ice cream. It was a Fourth of July, church, weekend, garden, wedding celebration. The final cost to my parents was $2,000.
'
Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender merices; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's. Psalm 103

No comments:

Post a Comment