Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Chapter 4 The Humor Of Heaven










There is much that is sad on this earth that dissipates in heaven. God is the source of all good humor and the laughter of Jesus and his children echos across the valley. This is now the fifth day of Christmas. I did not write anything on the fourth day because it was too full of life's woes. Some things are unspeakably sad and should not be remembered anymore unless perhaps as a cautionary tale. Or as a hallelujah of deliverance, mercy and grace.

The sum of life's woes can all be traced to the fall and much sadness exists because of man's sin and abuse of creation and a return to chaos and disorder. Let me say to my family that I love you. We have each had our share of grief. Some things are too private or painful to tell. I believe that Jesus would say; "My children, your sins are forgiven and that there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus .... go and sin no more." And what can we say in the face of such mercy and grace but; "Yes, Lord" .... then walk with and in him through our deliverance. All that has been repented of is water under the bridge and can be remembered against us no more.

But on to peace and joy. I cannot tell you how happy I am to have all my children here this Christmas. My boys and their wives and their children. Especially my son Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Jesse Bird, who has been away from us these last two and a half years in the Navy. Well they are all here except for the orphans. Last summer I went to Haiti as voluntary aid after the 2010 earthquake that hit Port A Prince. I went looking for a child ... a girl child, since there are more orphans now then before.

I found Samira in an orphanage in Chambrun, Haiti. She is six. We named her Samira Maere Paloma and were told that it might take nine to eighteen months to finalize an adoption. It has been two months since we received this word and God told me to buy her Christmas presents and make other necessary preparations .... well actually he told me to make preparations for two little girls and a baby down the road. I have inquired about a second child named Sandy but have heard nothing back on that score. Still we gave her the name Olivia Morganne Claire.

So here we are in our peace and joy of being together but our circle is not complete because Haiti is a sad place in many ways and these little ones are there and suffering. And so we send our prayers across the distance because there are no boundaries for God in heaven for his Spirit goes out everywhere. I cannot help thinking what joy they will have coming into our home. I nearly dropped and kissed the ground on my return from Haiti. So then much joy flows from sorrow. If I had never lost Giselle I would not have had Jesse or these girl children .... and over all I have had the profound joy of reconnecting with my child in heaven. I am not one who weeps at the drop of a hat. But I have cried more emotional, and thankful, happy tears over seeing my baby girl child then I have shed in a lifetime. God never takes anything away from us that he does not restore to us many times over ..... I have plans to look for more children to adopt in the future. There are many grandmothers who have taken in children.

While our home is a place of laughter and it is good to see my sons joking together, I have been more than surprised and amused to find so much fun and laughter in Zion. Jesus himself has rather a rye wit. Democrats who arrive in heaven find out that Jesus is a Republican and the Republicans find out that he is a Democrat and that much of what they thought of the seriousness of heaven is rather turned on it's head. But he is pro life and he does care about social justice and being green too.

Imagine him cutting up and hanging out with twelve other guys that he was deeply fond of. He was of heaven and earth and full of mirth and joy. He is deeply interested in everyone and accepting of our mortality .... no child of his ever feels ugly in his presence. Just deeply cared for .... and his ideas! Pray for the mind of Christ. I consult him whether planning a meal or art project. He is brilliant.

While Jesus is more then I expected, the archangel Michael is different then I expected. His humor was somewhat slapstick ... a constant charade game. This confused me at first but I was told that he is a mighty angel and does not reveal his complete glory so that man will not be tempted to fall down in worship. I appreciated the archangel Gabriel immediately but Michael was something of an acquired taste for me. But I have come to love him deeply. Michael is a warrior angel and a defender of God's people. He and Gabriel have kept me from much harm by the Lord's command. But Michael has adapted to my sense of humor some. He reflects my sons sense of humor more and I now find him to be quite funny. Tackling the opposition he will cast me a sidelong glance, briefly shrug his eyebrows as if to say; "How was that for ya."

Then there is Giselle. She is every darling thing I have ever seen in a child. Her inflections and mannerisms she tells me she has picked up from older children who have come to heaven. It is as though she exists for my pure delight.

...to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment