Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Problem of Pain



There are all types of pain. A person in pain should talk to someone. Some folks are rather public with their pain. Some say nothing at all. The problem with every0ne knowing about your grief is too much talk. Not everyone knows how to comfort. I know that, for myself, I generally talk to very few people if any, when I have a problem. Some well intentioned consolation is clumsy and cuts like a knife. I shy away from added pain. So I am quiet.
'
The times I was actually helped through grief were almost unexpected. This is what I have learned from my comforters;
'
1. Some sorrows require expressions of sympathy .... others require that we mind our own business.
'
2. If approached, listen quietly and thoughtfully. The person in pain may need to unburden themselves. Don't jump to "fix" the situation.
'
3. If you have experienced a similar grief you may know what to say like no one else does. If you have not, then simply let the person know that you care and so does Jesus. Offer to be available if they need to talk again.
'
4. Let your friend know that you will not repeat anything they have confided in you ... and don't ... not even to a spouse without permission.
'
5. Love and pray for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment