Saturday, June 26, 2010

Jacob Have I Loved


So James Thomas, This is your Grammie. Happy Birthday. It was your last visit and we were driving home from church. I was trying to explain something to you the way you would to a child ... or so I thought. A pained look crossed your face then you grinned and called me "weird". After reminding you of the proper way to speak to your elders I considered; Hmmm an alien child. Not from another country or planet ... simply a person with a different learning style. An alien speaks a different language and perhaps is confused by my metaphors and so communication must be reconfigured. And this is a man child .... less likely to argue with the men in the family. But I raised four sons with the goal that they be men. And what he does not understand his parents will explain to him.
'
Out of my four sons I raised an alien. No less beautiful or precious. He brought his own strength to the table and so enriched our family. I love him no less but I learned to adapt my communication as I shall with you. I will love you and pray for you .... I will feed you ... but I will keep my advice brief and to the point ..... don't bother to read my blog ... it will not please you. But I have a blessing for you .....
'
You are an eldest child. A son. Many in this position have forfeited their birthright ... a place of leadership. Cain, Esau, Saul ... men of strength .... men who inspired hope. But they fell and were rejected by God. But in hope your name is derived from Jacob. "Jacob have I loved" .... loved by God ... Jacob the deceiver. James Thomas .... Thomas, "the twin" .... Jacob, Esau's twin. I have heard it said that the inner and the outer man are twins but they do not always align. We are hypocrites and deceivers. Conforming on the outside but hiding our true thoughts and feelings. We hide the inner twin because he is ugly or socially unacceptable. But sooner or later we are found out.
'
Jesus cursed a fig tree for this reason. By leaf and stature there was a fig tree but when the Lord went to find fruit there was none. A fig tree without figs! Outwardly we may appear as good people but when our Lord looks at the heart he does not find the fruits of love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, kindness and self control. Just as he cursed the fig tree we stand in danger of judgement. How disappointing to look at a mature person and not find love, patience and wisdom .... sometimes even a child may be given the grace to show the fruits of the Spirit. We cannot produce these fruits on our own. If we try we produce only fakes ..... we are not truly kind ... just "nice" ... not truly patient, just tolerant. In order to have real fruits of the Spirit we must reject and repent of wrong thoughts and attitudes and the fake and then we must ask for the Spirit. And the Father delights to give the Spirit to those who ask. May you remember your Creator in the days of your youth. Listen to the Father's request, "My son, give me your heart." and may you own your birthright .... your place of leadership. Love, Grammie

No comments:

Post a Comment