Monday, February 1, 2010

So Who Is Paloma



I was in the kitchen store looking for a cast iron pot to cook apple butter. Most of these cauldrons reminded me of green bubbling concoctions and the women of Macbeth. So I was looking for something with a little more cheer perhaps in a cherry red or butterie yellow. Anyhow it all turned out to be rather expensive so I opted for some recipe cards and some novelties for my grandchildren and had gone to the check out. The clerk there was very chatty and helpful. She asked me if I had seen the sale section and the recipe cards there. I thanked her very much and turned around to take a quick look before she was done ringing my order. But directly behind me was a young, dark haired woman who had no intention of moving. I hesitated, then stepped around her to take a quick look at the sale, scooped up what I wanted and returned to the line as the sales woman continued to ring my order. While I had not held up the line of one the dark haired woman was annoyed. Since the clerk and I had been chatting away rather cheerfully I turned and smiled and attempted to bring the disgruntled woman into the conversation. At this she unleashed a torrent of angry words with the gist that I should leave her the f___ alone. The clerk fell silent. Again I thought to improve the situation and asked if she was having a bad day. More angry expletives followed after which she continued to mutter and spit under her breath. It sounded like she was putting a curse on me and maybe she could use one of those cauldrons.
'
I left the store more startled then angry or scared. "Like a fluttering bird, an undeserved curse does not come to rest." (Proverbs) ... I do believe in curses and I prayed for God to confront that woman. But it is possible that another person might hold a legitimate complaint against me. God hears the cry of the poor and the complaint of the needy so we are accountable as to how we treat others even if it is simply ignoring them. Though to be fair, they may be expecting too much,"Save me O Lord from those who would eat people as bread ... whose reward is in this life." (Psalms) And so the scriptures tell us too that it is impossible to keep the law. We may please one person and yet offend another or maybe we just suck the life out of people with our expectations. So I keep to the foot of the cross ..... the law being an unsafe vehicle, and plead the blood over my life. "The blood of Jesus speaks a better word then the blood of Abel" (St. Paul). One calls for forgiveness and one for vengeance. Makes me wonder about those long imprecatory psalms and scriptures that call down curses upon one's enemies ... there is a place for that. With his dying breath, Jesus called for forgiveness on his enemies because of their ignorance ..... you see they thought they were right. But there are those who choose evil with their eyes wide open embracing it to the grave and judgement day is coming. A curse and a penalty will be pronounced and it will be fierce and it will be right.
'
So little Paloma is my enemy. If we deny access to evil within our own hearts and minds Satan will find another route of attack .... do not fall back ..... let us go in and take the land.

1 comment: