Monday, February 1, 2010

Play It Again, Sam


What a difference a day makes. In many ways I look ahead and know where I am going. Don't always know how or when but then bam something unexpected happens. Saturday was the usual, then comes Sunday and I am going to Morocco.
'
This came about because I had recently started this little habit of reading the church bulletin with the question; "What should I do and where should I go?" The first time this happened a request for babysitting from a young family group that meets in Hockessin tugged for my attention. My first response was, "NO!" ... why would I leave my warm little home on a cold Wednesday night and drive to some strangers house and take care of a bunch of kids for two hours once a month. After a moment spent on all the reasons why not I thought maybe I should just say, "yes" ..... and God seemed to really like that answer. Later that week God gave me the impression that there was a little girl that needed me specifically. My heart was touched and my curiosity piqued. So like Abraham I set out for God knows where. When I got there I got to know some new people and give some grandmotherly advice.
'
The second time I looked at the bulletin with this question in mind I spotted a request for knitted hats and scarves to be donated to sailors on the Newport Docks. I had just finished a hat and scarf and the thought of some sailor wearing it out to sea gave me no little amount of pleasure.
'
By the third time of asking this question I am getting familiar with God's little tap on the shoulder. But Morocco .... good Lord! I can think of any number of reasons why it just isn't practical and I did ..... then said, "yes" and went to the two hour informational meeting during the afternoon. Naturally if I'm not supposed to go to Morocco the financial support simply will not be there ..... come to find out that this never happens. Also I was expecting primitive conditions like a hole in the ground for the bathroom and I was ready to camp out if necessary but apparently they put us up in the best accommodations that they have. I was a little embarrassed by this ... why not stay home and send the money? But then we are not just giving .... we have to be willing to receive from people and money is a poor substitute for coming along side someone and showing them the love of Jesus.
'
So I am travelling with Compassion Corp and will be flying into Casablanca then travelling about 5 hours inland to Fez. Since Morocco is a Muslim country, missionaries are not permitted. Christians living there are not allowed to proselytize. But if you are asked a question you may answer it. "Just like the public schools!" my mother responded brightly when she heard this. My mom was an elementary teacher in both public and private schools. Anyway, we will be working with orphans and disabled children doing crafts and skits. The people here think it a great disgrace for a child to be born out of wedlock so children are rarely allowed to remain with their mothers but are placed in orphanages. Sometimes the little girls are adopted into families to be servants ..... some fall into prostitution. I want one of those little girls ... I have already named her Paloma (it is a Spanish name that means 'dove')... now that would be a miracle. Morocco will not adopt out their children to Christians. There are also a high number of disabled children in orphanages because, all though this is changing, people here tend to believe that a disabled child is a sign of God's judgement on a family and this is a great embarrassment. We will also have some social time with the Moroccan women. Apparently they look forward to getting out of the house and maybe sharing some crafts.
'
So what a difference a day has made and yet .... I have a long standing goal to get to Spain and maybe run, not a gin joint but a small hotel ... and Morocco is in the vicinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment