Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Driven Or Led?


And Jesus looked at the multitudes and saw them driven and harassed ... like sheep without a shepherd.... and he was moved to pity. One of the greatest blessing I have encountered out of my worship and praise time is the shepherding of Christ ... I ask for it daily. Primarily it relieves me of guilt and confusion. It keeps me from being overwhelmed of the "shoulds" ... for I am being simply obedient to his guidance and leadership. For he does things in the "Presbyterian way" ... decently and in order.

So I go about my day. Caring for myself and my home ... a business. Relating to the people that cross my path. If someone thinks I have fallen short of a responsibility, I think not for I have been following the shepherd ... my mind is at rest .... I know what it is to be driven .... perhaps by the expectations of others ... or by some inner need to be significant ... even some pressing thought .... I am sometimes plagued by critical thoughts .... since I am tender hearted by nature, I find this particularly tormenting. I do not wish to entertain the negative thought ... particularly against loved ones ....

It is these times I turn to the Shepherd for protection and relief .... he ever blesses me and others and stands willing to help us do better .... everything he assists us with glows with a heavenly glory .... you can just tell when the Spirit of the Lord is on a person or some effort. And he does use his people .... we can shepherd or use any spiritual gift if we are led and infused with his Spirit.

Not all have the gift of shepherding but we do each have at least one gift. We can be the tools in the Master's hand using that gift he has bestowed on us to bless others and to glorify him. For every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father. What a delight and a relief to be guided, shepherded, led and helped by the Lord. What a consternation to be overwhelmed, driven, molested and harassed by that old Satan, the devil.

While my life has become more orderly, productive and peaceful there is still room for the unexpected ... like a trip to Haiti. Thinking of going back to collect my daughter looks to me like something of an obstacle course. Lack of funds, shots and meds, some negative opinion, a crazy foreign airport, incredible heat .... But I know I can trust the shepherd to carry me through in his time. He has already made a way for me, and he is watching over my child. We will be led and not driven.

No comments:

Post a Comment